ELEVENTH IN LINE




About This Blog
A blog about my life, universe, etc. At any given time you might find something endlessly interesting or just me ruminating on something else, which no one (not even myself) finds interesting. That's the way blogs go, I suppose. Anyway, I was eleventh in line, and you weren't. Hah!

About Me
Name:
Sarah
Age:
26
Residence:
Columbus, OH
Religion:
LDS
Political Score:
5.00/-2.15
Job:
Temp @ JPMorgan Chase
College:
Ohio State University
Majors:
Political Science, International Studies
High School: Home Educated
Hobbies:
Reading, standing in line for things, writing, research
Resume:
HotJobs
Email:
lloannna@gmail.com

About My Family
My mom is a
lawyer in Pickerington; my stepdad and dad are computer guys, and my stepmom (who works with my dad) is an engineer. My sisters are, in order of age, a photographer, an artist, and a person too young to have her own website. My brothers are, in order of age, living up north, and again, a person too young to have a website. At some point soon I'll be collecting links for my aunts, uncle, and cousins. ^_^

Message Services
(Please see the notes below the Comment Policy before sending me a message)
AIM:
lloannna
ICQ:
29395930
Yahoo:
lloannna



My CafePress Designs

Even More CafePress Designs



Star Wars: Episode 3 Line (Hollywood)
My Star Wars Line page






NaNoWriMo 2007:
My Novel: Cipere Lumen

Official NaNoWriMo 2006 Winner


NaNoWriMo 2006:
My Novel: The Manatee Conspiracy

Official NaNoWriMo 2006 Winner


NaNoWriMo 2005:
My Novel: Beyond the Cliffs of Kefira

Official NaNoWriMo 2005 Participant



NaNoWriMo 2004:
My Novel: sul Okyar tir taTz'ileea

National Novel Writing Month

Sunday, April 23, 2006
 
Belay my last...  
I knew there was something odd about the Old Testament not having any instances in the top 25 -- now I know why. For some reason, the top 4 Old Testament scriptures didn't get their citations included in my Excel spreadsheet (I think it was a copy & paste error -- I've fixed it now.) Moreover, I realized that I gave the Articles of Faith short shrift; the reason the Scripture Mastery scriptures are given a boost is because Latter-day Saints are expected to memorize them; accordingly, I now give the Articles of Faith the same bonus that they would have had if they were on a single Scripture Mastery list. And, oddly, one entry (D&C 13:1) was given a lot more points than it should have (it went down to 49th, with 166 points, when I copy & pasted the new scoring formula; since I pasted over the old formula, I don't know what was wrong with it.) So, the correct Top 25 (plus the extras, from the original list, that were moved out of the Top 25) are:

Scripture -- Volume -- Score/Rank
Moses 1:39 -- Pearl of Great Price -- 1350/1
2 Nephi 2:25 -- Book of Mormon -- 505/2
Romans 1:16 -- New Testament -- 460/3
D&C 14:7 -- Doctrine & Covenants -- 435/4
John 17:3 -- New Testament -- 424/5
Mosiah 3:19 -- Book of Mormon -- 415/6
1 Nephi 3:7 -- Book of Mormon -- 405/7
Amos 3:7 -- Old Testament -- 390/8
Moroni 10:4-5 -- Book of Mormon -- 380/9
Joshua 24:15 -- Old Testament -- 350/10
John 14:15 -- New Testament -- 345/11
A of F 1:13 -- Pearl of Great Price -- 340/12
Matthew 5:16 -- New Testament -- 335/13
Alma 41:10 -- Book of Mormon -- 325/14
D&C 82:10 -- Doctrine & Covenants -- 320/15
D&C 130:20-21 -- Doctrine & Covenants -- 305/16
John 7:17 -- New Testament -- 295/17
2 Nephi 31:20 -- Book of Mormon -- 285/18
Moroni 10:4 -- Book of Mormon -- 280/19
1 Corinthians 15:22 -- New Testament -- 280/19
D&C 1:38 -- Doctrine & Covenants -- 275/21
Revelation 14:6 -- New Testament -- 275/21
2 Nephi 2:27 -- Book of Mormon -- 260/23
D&C 59:9 -- Doctrine & Covenants -- 260/23
D&C 84:38 -- Doctrine & Covenants -- 240/25
Matthew 25:40 -- New Testament -- 253/26
James 1:5 -- New Testament -- 244/27
[...]
D&C 13:1 -- D&C 13:1 -- 166/49


(the scores are slightly higher now, as I changed the formula slightly, to give all the Scripture Mastery scriptures which didn't appear in the Top 100 citations lists a score; this also affected some of the rankings, but all of the original Top 25 are up there.)

I included the volume information for any non-members who might be stopping by. The correct numbers for the volumes (for the Top 25 only) are:

Book of Mormon -- 8
New Testament -- 7
Doctrine & Covenants -- 6
Old Testament -- 2
Pearl of Great Price -- 2 (incl. Article of Faith)

We're still not big on the Old Testament, clearly. And if you don't count the Articles of Faith or Joseph Smith History, just Moses 1:39 and Abraham 3:22-23 have scores higher than the mean.

Speaking of which, I have a total of 620 scripture references (obviously, there are some duplicates: Moroni 10:4 and Moroni 10:4-5 each independently rank in the Top 20,) and the mean score is 50.7 -- there are 137 references that have scores of 51+. I'm thinking seriously of adding the hymnal references in -- though I think I'll make two separate scores and ranks if I add the hymnal, because only about half of my current Top 25 are officially referenced by any hymn at all (I should point out that each hymn only has 2 scripture references; that plus the similarity in wording/content between various specific scriptures probably accounts for a lot of the scriptures that seem to have been overlooked.)

Incidentally, we had our Stake Conference today. The highest-ranked scripture that was specifically cited by any speaker was Moroni 10:4-5. Perhaps not surprisingly, it was cited by our visiting General Authority. Interestingly, he's only spoken at General Conference four times, and didn't cite Moroni 10:4-5 any of those times; I looked at the list of scriptures he's cited in his General Conference addresses, and he doesn't seem to go for the really popular scriptures much; he's cited 27 scriptures, but only 7 of them have scores on my sheet (remember, there are lot of scriptures with multiple citations that aren't on my ranking,) and only 2 of his cited scriptures have scores above the mean on my list: Mosiah 3:19 (ranked 6th) was cited in 2001, and Moses 1:39 was cited in 1994. He's only cited one scripture twice: Moses 1:10 (1989 and 2001;) -- that's ranked 438th on my list, with 12 citations. The other speakers at General Conference who've cited it more than once were Harold B. Lee (4 times,) and Neal A. Maxwell (2 times.)

I'm definitely researching the next General Authority I see speaking, ahead of time. It's like Conference Bingo, only more nerdy!

Labels: , , , , , , ,


. | 4 comments |

Comments:
Wow, quite a project, Sarah. Are there any shortcuts, or are you just manually cranking out the numbers by a manual count of scriptures cited by speakers?
 
Hi.
 
Darn, this is proof you are ready to become an economist.

;)
 
Not to mention, ready to leave a new post.
 
Post a Comment

Because only so many people can be eleventh in line.