ELEVENTH IN LINE




About This Blog
A blog about my life, universe, etc. At any given time you might find something endlessly interesting or just me ruminating on something else, which no one (not even myself) finds interesting. That's the way blogs go, I suppose. Anyway, I was eleventh in line, and you weren't. Hah!

About Me
Name:
Sarah
Age:
26
Residence:
Columbus, OH
Religion:
LDS
Political Score:
5.00/-2.15
Job:
Temp @ JPMorgan Chase
College:
Ohio State University
Majors:
Political Science, International Studies
High School: Home Educated
Hobbies:
Reading, standing in line for things, writing, research
Resume:
HotJobs
Email:
lloannna@gmail.com

About My Family
My mom is a
lawyer in Pickerington; my stepdad and dad are computer guys, and my stepmom (who works with my dad) is an engineer. My sisters are, in order of age, a photographer, an artist, and a person too young to have her own website. My brothers are, in order of age, living up north, and again, a person too young to have a website. At some point soon I'll be collecting links for my aunts, uncle, and cousins. ^_^

Message Services
(Please see the notes below the Comment Policy before sending me a message)
AIM:
lloannna
ICQ:
29395930
Yahoo:
lloannna



My CafePress Designs

Even More CafePress Designs



Star Wars: Episode 3 Line (Hollywood)
My Star Wars Line page






NaNoWriMo 2007:
My Novel: Cipere Lumen

Official NaNoWriMo 2006 Winner


NaNoWriMo 2006:
My Novel: The Manatee Conspiracy

Official NaNoWriMo 2006 Winner


NaNoWriMo 2005:
My Novel: Beyond the Cliffs of Kefira

Official NaNoWriMo 2005 Participant



NaNoWriMo 2004:
My Novel: sul Okyar tir taTz'ileea

National Novel Writing Month

Tuesday, July 26, 2005
 
Some things never change...  
So, the Atlantic Monthly (article expires July 28th, 2005) did a profile of Mitt Romney. A few people have noticed that its tone was inappropriate. I tend to agree, and sent the Atlantic Monthly a letter:


Re: The "Holy Cow!" Candidate

I note with displeasure the final section of your article on Mitt Romney, in which your correspondant Sridhar Pappu asked the governor about his LDS temple garments. Pappu characterized himself as being "uncomfortable" asking the question.

Of course he was uncomfortable. That's what happens when you ask something grossly inappropriate like that, and then publish it in a national forum. That question is the grossest possible combination of "boxers or briefs" and "how many days out of the week do you go to church?" Neither question is germane to anything but sensationalism and superficial notions regarding spirituality. The question is not a proxy for "how Mormon are you?" -- and even if it was, it wouldn't need to be asked in this interview, given that the governor answered that very question immediately before hand.

It almost seems like the question was designed to slap readers in the face. 'Ooh, ooh, let's talk about the(peculiar) habits of the (obviously creepy) Mormon candidate for President!' I can't imagine why the interviewer would want to do that -- my goodness, that might obscure the actual issues and let people rest on nonsensical prejudices. Might even make them decide to vote for a 'safer' Democrat, whose underwear and religious practices are left essentially unexamined, as they should be in all cases.

But that would be an indication of prejudice on the part of this publication, and we can't have that. So I'm going to interpret the inclusion of this question as simple immaturity, and poor judgement, on the part of your editorial staff. One hopes you'll refrain from such choices in the future; I'll look to your presumably upcoming profile of Harry Reid to see if you can control yourselves in the future.


(The governor is a topic of conversation within the Bloggernacle at large, of course...)

I don't know whether I'd vote for Romney for President or not. But I know I'd never give an interview to Sridhar Pappu.

. | 0 comments |

Comments: Post a Comment

Because only so many people can be eleventh in line.