ELEVENTH IN LINE




About This Blog
A blog about my life, universe, etc. At any given time you might find something endlessly interesting or just me ruminating on something else, which no one (not even myself) finds interesting. That's the way blogs go, I suppose. Anyway, I was eleventh in line, and you weren't. Hah!

About Me
Name:
Sarah
Age:
26
Residence:
Columbus, OH
Religion:
LDS
Political Score:
5.00/-2.15
Job:
Temp @ JPMorgan Chase
College:
Ohio State University
Majors:
Political Science, International Studies
High School: Home Educated
Hobbies:
Reading, standing in line for things, writing, research
Resume:
HotJobs
Email:
lloannna@gmail.com

About My Family
My mom is a
lawyer in Pickerington; my stepdad and dad are computer guys, and my stepmom (who works with my dad) is an engineer. My sisters are, in order of age, a photographer, an artist, and a person too young to have her own website. My brothers are, in order of age, living up north, and again, a person too young to have a website. At some point soon I'll be collecting links for my aunts, uncle, and cousins. ^_^

Message Services
(Please see the notes below the Comment Policy before sending me a message)
AIM:
lloannna
ICQ:
29395930
Yahoo:
lloannna



My CafePress Designs

Even More CafePress Designs



Star Wars: Episode 3 Line (Hollywood)
My Star Wars Line page






NaNoWriMo 2007:
My Novel: Cipere Lumen

Official NaNoWriMo 2006 Winner


NaNoWriMo 2006:
My Novel: The Manatee Conspiracy

Official NaNoWriMo 2006 Winner


NaNoWriMo 2005:
My Novel: Beyond the Cliffs of Kefira

Official NaNoWriMo 2005 Participant



NaNoWriMo 2004:
My Novel: sul Okyar tir taTz'ileea

National Novel Writing Month

Friday, June 10, 2005
 
Darfur  


"It's simple," one woman here explained. "When the men go out, they're killed. The women are only raped."

2 million of the 6 million people living in Darfur have been forced from their homes -- over 2000 villages have been burned to the ground. They're stuck in refugee camps, unable to tend to their crops or provide for themselves, so 3.5 million people in Darfur are in need of food assistance from relief agencies. Most aren't getting it.

Leila is 9 years old:


To help her family survive, Leila usually has other things to worry about.

“I am busy during the day. In the morning I wash our clothes and sweep the house, and we always need to collect water and firewood for cooking. Sometimes we walk for hours like everyone else in the camp,” she says.

Not going hungry is a constant anxiety. For their two meals a day, the family depends on food rations and donations. This morning’s breakfast consisted of porridge and Unimix, a nutritional supplement that the aid agencies hand out to combat the steadily rising malnutrition figures in Sudan’s camps.



As many as 300,000 people (at least 70,000) have been killed. The Sudanese government and their allies, an Arab militia known as the Janjaweed, are blamed for most of the deaths. That's why no one knows for sure how many have died.


Government forces and militias conducted indiscriminate attacks, including killing of civilians, torture, enforced disappearances, destruction of villages, rape and other forms of sexual violence, pillaging and forced displacement, throughout Darfur. These acts were conducted on a widespread and systematic basis ... The vast majority of the victims of all of these violations have been from the Fur, Zaghawa, Massalit, Jebel, Aranga and other so-called 'African' tribes.


President Bush declared it a genocide more than 7 months ago. There's a war crimes tribunal convening at the Hague. And yet, somehow, no one -- not even the African Union -- is actually protecting these people. The Sudanese government arrests humanitarian workers, and all they get is a "please don't do that" from the US. The AU is trying to get a total of under 8,000 troops in the region -- but right now they have about 2,700, and it's unclear how even 8,000 peacekeeping troops could protect millions of people from the combined Sudanese and militia forces, considering that all they need to do to win is keep killing civilians (i.e. there's no specific land they're trying to capture.)

Especially when you consider that we haven't even tried significant sanctions (we've done less to Sudan than we have to China, Syria, et al) and that the great majority of Americans don't even know about what's going on, I find it incredible that anyone would argue we have no moral imperative to act (or even just speak out.)

More here at Times & Seasons. And more here at InstaPundit. I'd link more, but it sounds like a big thunderstorm is coming and I want this to get posted today.

. | 0 comments |

Comments: Post a Comment

Because only so many people can be eleventh in line.