ELEVENTH IN LINE




About This Blog
A blog about my life, universe, etc. At any given time you might find something endlessly interesting or just me ruminating on something else, which no one (not even myself) finds interesting. That's the way blogs go, I suppose. Anyway, I was eleventh in line, and you weren't. Hah!

About Me
Name:
Sarah
Age:
26
Residence:
Columbus, OH
Religion:
LDS
Political Score:
5.00/-2.15
Job:
Temp @ JPMorgan Chase
College:
Ohio State University
Majors:
Political Science, International Studies
High School: Home Educated
Hobbies:
Reading, standing in line for things, writing, research
Resume:
HotJobs
Email:
lloannna@gmail.com

About My Family
My mom is a
lawyer in Pickerington; my stepdad and dad are computer guys, and my stepmom (who works with my dad) is an engineer. My sisters are, in order of age, a photographer, an artist, and a person too young to have her own website. My brothers are, in order of age, living up north, and again, a person too young to have a website. At some point soon I'll be collecting links for my aunts, uncle, and cousins. ^_^

Message Services
(Please see the notes below the Comment Policy before sending me a message)
AIM:
lloannna
ICQ:
29395930
Yahoo:
lloannna



My CafePress Designs

Even More CafePress Designs



Star Wars: Episode 3 Line (Hollywood)
My Star Wars Line page






NaNoWriMo 2007:
My Novel: Cipere Lumen

Official NaNoWriMo 2006 Winner


NaNoWriMo 2006:
My Novel: The Manatee Conspiracy

Official NaNoWriMo 2006 Winner


NaNoWriMo 2005:
My Novel: Beyond the Cliffs of Kefira

Official NaNoWriMo 2005 Participant



NaNoWriMo 2004:
My Novel: sul Okyar tir taTz'ileea

National Novel Writing Month

Tuesday, February 15, 2005
 
I Find Your Lack of Faith Disturbing  
InstaPundit and others linked today to the March cover story of Popular Mechanics, which discusses various conspiracy theories pertaining to the Sept. 11th attacks.

Now, I should preface my forthcoming comments with this: before today, it never occurred to me to doubt the accounts of what happened on that day: I was watching most of it on TV as it happened, after all. This article was my first introduction to any of these "alternative" explanations.

Which is why I was so baffled to find myself wanting to believe them -- instantly taking on the role of the skeptic, the disbeliever, what have you, when faced with accounts from engineers and rescue workers and pilots and government officials. I saw this event on TV with my own eyes, as it happened. I remember looking at buildings sagging, getting ready to collapse. I remember the thing with the President in that classroom, with the TV reporters confused about whether or not there was a fourth plane missing. This is something that happened only a few years ago.

And yet, still, the notion that "they can't be trusted, don't listen to them, etc." comes to mind immediately. What's up with that??

I guess I've got a lack of trust thing going on. I don't believe other people when they speak; I don't buy into their authority or something. Which is dumb, really -- I have no reason to distrust them, I just do automatically cause, well... ummm, why?

In any case, I think that this thing, this "prove it to me... now... and no, none of your accumulated evidence is enough, darn it" attitude, is probably counterproductive in general, and also detrimental to my spiritual (and psychological) well-being.

Therefore, from now on, I'm going to try and convince myself to believe all such accounts: from Joseph Smith, or from the apostle Paul, or from engineering experts, or whoever. Until such time as they let me down, anyway -- and one let down doesn't mean I stop trusting everyone.

I wonder if all this started when I realized that people (i.e. adults -- people older and wiser and holding general authority over my well-being) have their own agendas, and don't always tell the truth, or do the right thing? Heh.

. | 0 comments |

Comments: Post a Comment

Because only so many people can be eleventh in line.