ELEVENTH IN LINE




About This Blog
A blog about my life, universe, etc. At any given time you might find something endlessly interesting or just me ruminating on something else, which no one (not even myself) finds interesting. That's the way blogs go, I suppose. Anyway, I was eleventh in line, and you weren't. Hah!

About Me
Name:
Sarah
Age:
26
Residence:
Columbus, OH
Religion:
LDS
Political Score:
5.00/-2.15
Job:
Temp @ JPMorgan Chase
College:
Ohio State University
Majors:
Political Science, International Studies
High School: Home Educated
Hobbies:
Reading, standing in line for things, writing, research
Resume:
HotJobs
Email:
lloannna@gmail.com

About My Family
My mom is a
lawyer in Pickerington; my stepdad and dad are computer guys, and my stepmom (who works with my dad) is an engineer. My sisters are, in order of age, a photographer, an artist, and a person too young to have her own website. My brothers are, in order of age, living up north, and again, a person too young to have a website. At some point soon I'll be collecting links for my aunts, uncle, and cousins. ^_^

Message Services
(Please see the notes below the Comment Policy before sending me a message)
AIM:
lloannna
ICQ:
29395930
Yahoo:
lloannna



My CafePress Designs

Even More CafePress Designs



Star Wars: Episode 3 Line (Hollywood)
My Star Wars Line page






NaNoWriMo 2007:
My Novel: Cipere Lumen

Official NaNoWriMo 2006 Winner


NaNoWriMo 2006:
My Novel: The Manatee Conspiracy

Official NaNoWriMo 2006 Winner


NaNoWriMo 2005:
My Novel: Beyond the Cliffs of Kefira

Official NaNoWriMo 2005 Participant



NaNoWriMo 2004:
My Novel: sul Okyar tir taTz'ileea

National Novel Writing Month

Sunday, September 12, 2004
 
I like "of the moment" stuff...  
I think it complements my complete inability to be genuinely spontaneous in person. And it's an ironic feature of my site, because most of my "of the moment" things stay the same for days, weeks, months, or, in one case, almost a whole YEAR, before being changed. ^_^ That's why I made it an "of the moment" feature set, rather than "of the hour/day/week/other defined time period" feature set.

Anyway, I'm going to make a scripture of the moment, AND a quote of the moment, addition to the sidebar. Just try to stop me, I dare you. I'm waiting. No? Okay then, here we go.

The current (and for the immediate and undefined future) scripture of the moment is...

Helaman 4:23!!!


And becuase of their iniquity the church had begun to dwindle; and they began to disbelieve in the spirit of prophecy, and in the spirit of revelation; and the judgements of God did stare them in the face.


An awesome quote; it comes just after the "War Chapters" in the Book of Mormon. Basically, the Nephites (our heroes; the descendants of Nephi, Sam, and others faithful to God from the beginning of their time in the Americas) have been caught up in the Rightesousness -> Prosperity -> Pride -> Suffering cycle, and they've been prideful and haughty and mean-spirited and ALL that good stuff. They've also become weak, allowing internal contention to distract them from keeping the borders safe. I love this scripture because of that last line, which really struck me when I read it. I wouldn't want God's judgements to stare me right in the face, if I were them.

Now for my quote of the moment. Unlike the scripture of the moment, which I will keep to just the LDS standard works, this could come from anywhere -- church authorities, other scriptural works (e.g. the apocrypha), books I like, friends, whatever. If I can link to the source, I will, but I suspect there won't be a whole lot of online sources for this thing. I'm too much of a dead tree fanatic to give any online source that much space on my sidebar. ^_^

This moment is going to be devoted to Ezra Taft Benson, who spoke in April, 1986, in a conference talk called "Cleaning the Inner Vessel":


Pride does not look up to God and care about what is right. It looks sideways to man and argues who is right. Pride is manifest in the spirit of contention.


It's a great quote, and there's a ton of other great stuff on either side of it (in fact, about enough great stuff to fill an entire conference talk -- imagine that!) It was, unsurprisingly perhaps, mentioned in one of the sites I use to prepare for Gospel Doctrine each week, LDSLiving.Com. I chose it over C.S. Lewis, but only just, so I'm going to include the honorable contender's words, too (don't worry, I'll probably quote him before Christmas):


As long as you are proud you cannot know God. A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down you cannot see something that is above you.


That's from Mere Christianity, a book that's been on my must-read list for WAY too long. It was also quoted at LDSLiving. Something to think about, eh?

. | 0 comments |

Comments: Post a Comment

Because only so many people can be eleventh in line.