ELEVENTH IN LINE




About This Blog
A blog about my life, universe, etc. At any given time you might find something endlessly interesting or just me ruminating on something else, which no one (not even myself) finds interesting. That's the way blogs go, I suppose. Anyway, I was eleventh in line, and you weren't. Hah!

About Me
Name:
Sarah
Age:
26
Residence:
Columbus, OH
Religion:
LDS
Political Score:
5.00/-2.15
Job:
Temp @ JPMorgan Chase
College:
Ohio State University
Majors:
Political Science, International Studies
High School: Home Educated
Hobbies:
Reading, standing in line for things, writing, research
Resume:
HotJobs
Email:
lloannna@gmail.com

About My Family
My mom is a
lawyer in Pickerington; my stepdad and dad are computer guys, and my stepmom (who works with my dad) is an engineer. My sisters are, in order of age, a photographer, an artist, and a person too young to have her own website. My brothers are, in order of age, living up north, and again, a person too young to have a website. At some point soon I'll be collecting links for my aunts, uncle, and cousins. ^_^

Message Services
(Please see the notes below the Comment Policy before sending me a message)
AIM:
lloannna
ICQ:
29395930
Yahoo:
lloannna



My CafePress Designs

Even More CafePress Designs



Star Wars: Episode 3 Line (Hollywood)
My Star Wars Line page






NaNoWriMo 2007:
My Novel: Cipere Lumen

Official NaNoWriMo 2006 Winner


NaNoWriMo 2006:
My Novel: The Manatee Conspiracy

Official NaNoWriMo 2006 Winner


NaNoWriMo 2005:
My Novel: Beyond the Cliffs of Kefira

Official NaNoWriMo 2005 Participant



NaNoWriMo 2004:
My Novel: sul Okyar tir taTz'ileea

National Novel Writing Month

Friday, September 10, 2004
 
Forgery of Bush Documents? Maybe...  
This story is all over the blogosphere today. It's at LGF, the Command Post, and of course, PowerLine, where it all started (as far as I can tell). Special thanks, as always, to the InstaPundit, who tipped me off (may he stay at the top of my MyYahoo! forever ^_^). Thank goodness for RSS.

LGF superimposed a Word typed version of the document and the PDF from CBS (oh yeah, should link to them too, eh), and they matched almost perfectly (see the LGF link above for the images). InstaPundit has more on the various angles of this story, as always. My take? Cautious pessimism (I for one don't think it's a good day when media giants are revealed to be bad actors in the political arena; I'd be a lot happier if these things were true documents, because I don't think that if they were true, they'd be very relevant to the Bush campaign, which already admits that Bush's behavior in the 1970s wasn't what it could have been).

I posted this comment to LGF, in any case:


I'm curious, has anyone attempted to come up with a good set of arguments that would suggest these aren't forgeries? First rule of debate team, know what the other side's arguments will be. In this case, what will CBS say when they stop with the "we stand by our sources" nonsense? I'm fighting any urges to get excited about this until things play out more; this is serious stuff.

Anyway, some research/factoids/things to consider:

-- National guard units drill on Saturdays. And Sundays. That's kind of the thing with the National Guard (one weekend a month, two weeks a year); don't assume that there wouldn't be a secretary or some drilling reservist who could type stuff (not saying that they did, just saying it's not strictly impossible)
-- the 111th Texas ANG (via http://www.ang.af.mil/units/angsites.asp?state=TX) is currently at 14657 Sneider St, Houston TX 77034; 281-929-2544.
-- FWIW (not that much, probably), after a few years as a Sea Cadet drilling with the Navy Reserve, being the stepkid of an Army (then Navy, then Army) Reservist, assistant genealogical researcher, and past intern doing research on how the US Information Agency was established in the 1970s (I also did some records management stuff in the City of Anaheim with documents from the same era) I take a look and these documents just smell wrong. They don't even look like things I got in Army ROTC, from my commander and instructors, in 1997, for heaven's sake. And has anyone been in the national guard before? You don't exactly get the best available equipment and resources...
-- on dates: in a lot of records settings, including genealogy, the ##MON## (or now, ##MON####) is preferred, because it ensures zero confusion amongst the three variables (day, month, year), and it eliminates the potential of apostrophes and commas turning into "1". Commas are the bane of researchers. Death to commas. :)It's ingrained in me just from doing genealogy to never use commas in dates -- I can't see someone who's made it to LTCOL who would use them, especially in actual military correspondence/memos.



I liked the analysis here. Anyway, the Washington Post will have it on the front page tomorrow, according to InstaPundit, so it appears the developments will be out in the open starting tomorrow.

. | 0 comments |

Comments: Post a Comment

Because only so many people can be eleventh in line.